It's been about 2 weeks since Mexico and I badly want to return. I keep thinking about the sunny 95 degree weather! It was so nice! I also find myself, any opportunity I get, to tell everyone about my experiences.
I'm constantly telling people about our experience at the gold maquiladora. The gold maquiladora was unlike anything I have ever been too. The factory makes jewelry for a Lafayette based company. Before going to the gold maquila we were told that we could not wear any jewelry, bring our purses, cameras, or cell phones. When we pulled up to the maquilador it had fences around with barbwire. They had a high level of security. We walked in and started our tour. It was very different than I would have imagined and very open. They offices had huge windows so that everyone could see inside. We were told they did this so that the employees felt unity between the departments. We then walked into the part where they made the jewelry. We had to walk by security detectors put in place in case someone tried to steal anything.
The best part was watching on the of the employees making a diamond ring. He was in the process of putting 5 diamonds into this wedding ring. We were told that this ring was worth up to $50,000. Sital and I tried to come up with ways to distract the guy so we could try on the ring...but were very unsuccessful! They also cleaned pieces of jewelry for Tiffany's. Our tour guide had to end our tour because he had a conference call with Tiffany's. I volunteered to sit in on this call but he wouldn't let me.
Overall, this was such a great experience that I will never forget. How many people can say that they have visited a gold maquiladora?? Not too many!
No comments:
Post a Comment