Monday, January 17, 2011

Cenotes

The cenotes were an extremely memorable part of my journey in the Yucatan. We visited a cenote one day, and it was really fun. However, the water was super cold, and it was really crowded with tourists from all over the world. We found that many of the male foreigners enjoyed wearing very tight Speedos, which was not such a memorable part of my cenote experience. LOL.

I was sick for the second round of cenotes, but the third round was the best! To get to these cenotes, we had to take this long ride on a horse-drawn carriage, which was not as glorious as it sounds. The people in my carriage named our horse "Poopa de Lima" (© Ryan Zemke). I'm sure you can guess why! Despite the fact that our horse had tummy issues, the long ride was very fun and entertaining.

In the cenotes, we got to climb up rocks and jump into the cool water beneath us. We used goggles to look under the water, and we saw that there were big, never-ending caves at the bottom. It was kind of creepy to look down because the Mayans used to sacrifice people in the cenotes, but it was so neat at the same time! In each cenote, there was usually only one rock to stand on, so it was kind of like "survival of the fittest" to stay on. This made it so much more fun, and it produced lots and lots of laughter!

I was so sad when it was time to depart back to Merida that day. We all had so much fun, but we were so tired from a long day of swimming. I know I keep saying this in all of my blogs, but this, too, was an experience that I will never forget!

~Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment