Trip to the Doctor's Office
So I got a little cold my second week in Merida. It got to the point where I felt I need to take a trip to the doctor's office. I was a little nervous to visit a doctor in Mexico, naturally. But when I got there, I was pleased to find out that it is actually a lot like going to the doctor in the United States. I was told that the doctor on staff completed his residency at Tulane in New Orleans, which also put my mind at ease. He did the routine stuff like open your mouth and say "ahhh" and put the stethoscope to my chest and listened, etc. He told me what medicines I needed, and I was on my way.
I viewed this negatively at first, since no one really wants to visit a doctor in a foreign country. After thinking about it for a while, I realized that it was actually a great experience. Since we were studying international business, I realized I did just that at the doctor's office. A doctor's office is a business, and I was able to see how this particular business was operated in Mexico. And as I said before, it was operated much like a doctor's office in the United States, except for the language barrier, of course. It was a learning experience and a positive one at that!
--Amanda--
No comments:
Post a Comment