Sunday, January 2, 2011

Sunday: December 26, 2010:
I meet up with Boomer and Amanda at their apartment and we get dropped off at the airport around 10. We continue to fly to Houston, TX and start our layover of 6 hours. We walked around the airport for a couple hours looking for Stial, Justin, Kelly, and Lauren, who had already been in the airport for a few hours. We sit around for a few more hours and meet up with the whole class. We arrive in Merida and go through customs and this is when I realized the language barrier down here was going to be tough. I tried to simply order a "taco" at the restaurant we went to the first night and the waiter brought me some sort of random pink meat.

Monday: December 27, 2010:
We did a walking tour of Merida and walked down through the market. We also went to the USA consulate and met Trey/Travis. He told us about the safety issues in Merida, Mexico and we got to ask questions about how Hispanics receive and apply for a Visa, work visa etc....

Tuesday: December 28, 2010:
We had class and reviewed the articles we had to read before the trip. We talked about Intellectual Property issues in Merida and Mexico in general. After class, we split up in to two groups and walked to the market to find IP items down there. Amanda had a very interesting experience in the first store we walked in to to find IP issues. I'm sure she will blog about that so be sure to read her blog from today.

December 30, 2010:
we traveled to Yaxil Kuic to the reserve. We walked around the reserve for a few hours and learned about the Mayan ruins around the reserve. We filmed the "Mexican Blair Witch" while we waited for dinner. This was a really interesting night. I didn't really sleep well at all and I woke up basically on top of Boomer and Ryan multiple times. I woke up in the morning and opened by book bag and found a very large spider in there. This was a fun experience, but I don't know if I would want to sleep in a hammock again.

No comments:

Post a Comment